I try to find beautiful new ways to make sense of the world. In the past through art, presently through action and design research.
Joost Adriaanse has his own practice as a Design Researcher, performing hands-on inquiries into the conditions and possibilities of life in the one world we all inhabit. Sometimes writing, sometimes filming, always collaborating, trying out, experimenting, translating and RE-imagining the present. He works as project initiator, design researcher, co-pilot, educator, researcher, writer, creative, reporter, external critic, seaweed farmer and free spirited thinker. Joost holds a BA in Fine Arts (St. Joost ‘s-Hertogenbosch and Royal Academy of Bergen Norway), obtained his MA in Comparative Arts & Media Studies (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam) cum laude and won the 2019 Dutch Design Award in the Design Research category together with Ester van de Wiel, David Hamers, Ginette Verstraete and the RE-source team. He has been working and exploring the world ever since.
1990 Born and named Joost Adriaanse | 14 maart, Vlissingen, NL
2008 Diploma VWO Atheneum NG+NT, Middelburg, NL
2009 Propedeuse Certificaat Industrial Design Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, NL
2013 Diploma Bachelor of Fine Arts (Cum Laude) AVANS AKV St. Joost ‘s-Hertogenbosch, NL and Royal Academy of Bergen, NO
2015 Pre-master Certificaat Comparative Arts & Media Studies (CAMS) Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, NL
2016 Diploma Master of Arts (Cum Laude) – Comparative Arts & Media Studies (CAMS) Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
– Action & Design Research | Studio Joost Adriaanse | 2020 – present
– Tutor Design Academy Eindhoven, Studio Public – Pivate | 2019 – present
– Co-founder & Seaweed Farmer | Seaweed Farm Veersche Wier | 2019 – present
– Guest Tutor | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Roosevelt University College Middelburg, Design Academy Eindhoven, ArtEZ Arnhem | 2018 – present
– Embedded Design Researcher | Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam | 2017 – 2020
– First Editor Digressions Journal of Critical Theory, Cultural Analysis and Creative Writing | 2018 – 2019